Iran vs. FATF; what will happen next?
– After the last and final deadline that FATF imposed on Iran to ratify anti-money laundering directives, now the big question is how will Iran act on that? Spokesperson of the Government of Iran, Eshaq Jahangiri, announced that the head of powers has already approved the FATF related amendments and it shall be implemented soon. However, the secretary of Iran’s Expediency Discernment Council has a different opinion on the matter. Mohsen Rezaei just told the press that nothing can be implemented without the consent of this council and FATF has political reasons behind its deadline pressure. It seems that Iran wants to leverage the ratification of what FATF seeks against having some financial benefit our of the “US less” JCPoA.
– As the deadline of Iran’s 4th step on reducing its JCPoA commitments reaches, unconfirmed sources leaked some of Iran’s decisions in that regard. Apparently, if the EU does not come to a solid solution solving problems caused by the US unilateral withdrawal from the nuke deal, Iran will do the following in a matter of weeks:
- Expose its 30-chain of IR6 centrifuges;
- Increase its uranium enrichment capacity;
- Initiate the secondary part of the Arak nuclear reactor; and
- Unveil new generations of centrifuges (IR7, IR8 and IR9)
It is believed that this step will be taken by Iran since the EU is not even remotely close to what Iran seeks. In that case, the matter of bringing Iran file to the UN security council would be not far-fetched.
2019,Iran vs. FATF; what will happen next? ,Wednesday, October 30 p.1,<https://agahgroup.com>